ESA operations software licensable products - overview
As part of the engineering activities related to the procurement of integrated systems required to support unmanned spacecraft mission preparation and operation, ESA's Ground Systems Engineering department at ESOC have developed generic software packages in the domains of:
- Mission Control, Mission Planning, Simulator and Station Back-End Infrastructure Systems
- Mission Specific Data Systems and Data Centres
- Telemetry, Tracking and Command Ground Station Systems
- Flight Dynamics Orbit, Attitude, Manoeuvre and Command Generation Systems
- Mission Analysis Systems
- Space Debris Modelling, Prediction, Conjunction, re-entry and risks analysis Systems
- Space Geodesy, POD, LEO and GNSS Systems
The Ground Systems Engineering Department is the ESA representative to the Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS) and actively leads or participates in the following activities:
- European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS)
- European Committee for Standardisation (ECS)
- ESA Engineering Standardisation Board (ESB)
- Object Management Group (OMG)
- ESA Standardisation Steering Board (ESSB), and
- Related standardisation boards and working groups.
The produced software packages follow these standards.
Applications developed at ESOC
The produced software systems cover a wide range of applications, such as SCOS-2000®, the mission control system infrastructure used to control the ESA satellites, or SIMSAT, the satellite simulation infrastructure used by all mission-specific simulators at ESOC.
More than 35 such generic software packages are used by ESA to assist in the efficient development of mission-specific systems. Most of the software has been developed in the ESA Ground Operation System (EGOS) project, which is an on-going project aiming to standardise the infrastructure used throughout European Space Agency ground segments with the goal of improving reliability, cost effectiveness and interoperability.
Software licensing for industry
Some of this software is licensable for general use outside ESA, which allows use within other areas, such as by commercial industry or for education. The software products can be provided to ESA Member States and bodies under their jurisdiction under special licensing conditions. The license application process is documented; access details via the ESOC license request web page; the license request form is here.
In order to facilitate the distribution and licensing of the software systems, they have been grouped into products:
- MICONYS® – the ESA Mission Control System Infrastructure, including SCOS-2000® and its ancillary applications.
- SIMULUS – the ESA Simulation System Infrastructure, including a satellite simulator (SIMSAT), a set of models to simulate different aspects of the satellite environment and the ground station equipment
- SIMULUS-M – the modelling framework for the simulation infrastructure
- TEVALIS® – the ESA Ground Test & Validation System used to simulate and test the whole chain of equipment from the mission control system to the satellite
- DABYS® – the ESA Generic Database Software, an EGOS specialised framework for building DB management applications
- EUD – the EGOS User Desktop, providing a generic user interface that can be used by all EGOS applications
- SLE API – an API intended for use by application programs implementing SLE (Space Link Extension) Services
- CFDP - ground segment implementation of the CCSDS File Delivery Protocol
- NAPEOS – portable navigation software for earth-orbiting satellite missions
- Space debris software products – a set of space debris-dedicated tools and databases
Questions? Contact us via mail to firstname.lastname@example.org