SECESA 2016 - Call For Papers
25 April 2016
The European Space Agency (Technical and Quality Management Directorate and Concurrent Design Facility) in collaboration with the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) is organising the 7th International Systems & Concurrent Engineering for Space Applications Conference at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería Aeronáutica y del Espacio (ETSIAE) of Madrid, on 5-6-7 October 2016.
Held on a biannual basis, the Conference is designed to foster exchange of ideas, experiences, lessons learned and future trends in the area of Systems and Concurrent Engineering (SE&CE), for agencies, companies, organizations, universities and institutes involved in space and related activities.
Since 2008, SECESA has been hosted at different European University premises, and co-organised by academia chosen via a formal selection process. This approach enables the Universities to showcase specific areas or projects where students are excelling at utilising SE and CE approaches as well as accomplishing the Agency educational objective of inspiring young generations of engineers with new methodology and approaches for Systems Engineering by facilitating their participation to the technical sessions. Previous universities that have hosted SECESA are:
• La Sapienza University of Rome
• EPFL in Lausanne (Switzerland);
• Instituto Superior Tecnico (IST) Lisbon (Portugal),
• Institute of Space Systems (IRS) of the University of Stuttgart
The goal of the Conference is to foster exchange of ideas, experiences, lessons learned and future trends in the area of Systems and Concurrent Engineering, via the following objectives:
1. To exchange experiences, know-how and lessons learned in Systems Engineering & Concurrent Engineering for space applications
2. To support SE&CE standardisation to enhance interoperability and collaboration among engineering disciplines and organisations
3. To enhance CE approaches in all phases of the project life cycle
4. To share metrics and cost/benefit assessments on new strategies, tools and technologies for SE&CE
5. To debate new SE challenges, such as sustainable use of space, advanced manufacturing techniques, small sat constellations, systems of systems, public-private-partnerships, international cooperation missions,…
6. To discuss evolution and trends in SE&CE
7. To promote cross-fertilisation between space and non-space domains with respect to SE&CE methodologies and applications
8. To introduce Knowledge Management and Lessons Learned into SE&CE practices for space applications
The Conference will be organised around topics belonging to the following Thematic Areas:
• TA1. Tools & Facilities
• TA2. Processes & Methodology
• TA3. People
• TA4. Applications
• TA5. Future Trends
For each of the 5 Thematic Areas, the most relevant and interesting topics are highlighted with key-words in the picture.
The abstract shall clearly outline the Topic of the paper and should be submitted within the deadline of 20 May 2016, using the on-line form.
All abstracts will be subjected to a “triple-blind review” by at least three members of the Technical Committee.
Authors will be notified of the acceptance of their paper by 27 June 2016 and then receive instructions for the preparation of the final paper for the Conference proceedings.
The Conference will be structured around Thematic Sessions according to the Programme defined by the technical Committee and will include presentations of selected papers, posters, invited keynotes, panel discussions and interactive DEMOs
SPECIAL FOR SECESA 2016!
The authors of the 6-7 best full papers will be invited to publish in the prestigious Special Issue of: “Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications” International Journal, in a Special Issue exclusively dedicated to SECESA.